Started by a small group of dedicated families for their children in 1977, the Price Center has retained its sense of family, community, and belonging as it grows and continues to serve special individuals with intellectual and developmental challenges. The Price Center offers Day Habilitation, Residential, Employment, and Community-based programs that foster self-confidence and maximize physical, emotional, and intellectual capabilities, while striving to help each individual live as independently as possible in the larger community.
The Price Center has continually expanded services and increased the number of people served through careful management of its resources.
- 1977: Incorporated in Newton, MA to deliver vocational services to adults with intellectual and developmental challenges
- 1987: Launched a day habilitation program in Dedham
- 1997: Opened residential services in 1997, taking ownership of Humanity House in Brookline, MA. Added three more residences over the next decade.
- 2005: ASCENT (Advocacy, Social Skills, Connections, Empowerment, Negotiation and Transitions) program launched to offer after school care. It has since evolved into an extended day service and social club for young people
- 2010: Piloted Work$mart, a program created to help special individuals acclimate to an office environment to prepare them for independent employment.
- 2012: Created the Community Based Day program to focus on community engagement beyond employment and the Employment Services program, to better serve individuals interested in employment and training.
- 2015: Purchased and renovated the 52,000 square foot building on Christina Street in Newton to bring all services in one location
- 2015: Added programs to meet the growing demand for services for individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- 2019: Renovated 14,000 square feet of space to house the growing Community Based Day and Employment Programs
- 2020: Purchased a new home in Auburndale to accommodate 5 individuals
- 2020: Initiated virtual and remote programming for all individuals